Protecting your personal health information under the Personal Health Information Act
The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) governs the collection, use, disclosure, retention, disposal and destruction of personal health information.
PHIA was proclaimed on December 4, 2012 and came into force on June 1, 2013.
The Act recognizes both the right of individuals to protect their personal health information and the need of custodians to collect, use and disclose personal health information to provide, support and manage health care.
Please see the website for more information: www.novascotia.ca/DHW/PHIA
MSI and other health insurance companies do not pay for missed appointments. Consequently, if you do not call to cancel an appointment, Dr. Lazier will not be paid for the time she had allocated for your appointment. More importantly, she will not be able to spend that time providing a service to another patient.
Cancellation within 2 business days of a scheduled appointment, or not showing up for an appointment without more than 2 business days’ prior notice, is subject to a fee:
- $50 per 15 minutes scheduled for a missed/cancelled appointment for an ADULT
- $55 per 15minutes scheduled for a missed/cancelled appointment for a CHILD (under 16 yrs)
A certain amount of time will be blocked out of Dr. Lazier’s clinic schedule for your appointment. The duration will vary, and depends on the purpose for the appointment and who will be in attendance. If that time is not used for face-to-face contact (for example, if you are late), she will not be able to bill MSI for that time.
Late arrival is subject to a fee:
- $50 per any portion of a 15 minute block of an appointment for an ADULT
- $55 per any portion of a 15 minute block of an appointment for a CHILD (under 16 yrs)
Non-Insured Services Fees
There are many aspects of care which are not covered by MSI or health insurance companies.
When this is the case, you will be informed of the cost, and be given the option to decline this service. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Printing, faxing, mailing documents
- Medical advice by letter, phone, fax, email
- Prescription renewal by phone
- Medical record transfer or chart summary
- Medical-legal services
- Requested forms/reports, such as (but not limited to)
- Disability forms
- Third party requested letters/questionnaires
- Scotopic Sensitivity Screening
- Education Sessions
Payment for non-insured services is due at the time of the service. Payment for late and cancellation fees are due within 2 weeks of the cancellation of scheduled appointment. Further appointments will not be offered until your account is settled. Exceptions for late and cancellation fees may be made in the case of emergencies (such as unexpected death of a family member, motor vehicle accident, health emergency), with proof of the event.